By Fouad G. Major, Viorica N. Gheorghe, Günther Werth
This publication offers an creation and advisor to fashionable advances in charged particle (and antiparticle) confinement by way of electromagnetic fields. Confinement in several capture geometries, the impression of catch imperfections, classical and quantum mechanical description of the trapped particle movement, various equipment of ion cooling to low temperatures, and non-neutral plasma homes (including Coulomb crystals) are the most topics. They shape the root of such functions of charged particle traps as high-resolution optical and microwave spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, atomic clocks, and, possibly, quantum computing.
Read Online or Download Charged Particle Traps: Physics and Techniques of Charged Particle Field Confinement PDF
Best atomic & nuclear physics books
The evolution of our realizing of so much houses of latest useful fabrics is said to our wisdom in their atomic-scale constitution. To additional this, numerous X-ray and neutron strategies are hired. The anomalous X-ray scattering (AXS) technique, exploiting the so-called anomalous dispersion influence close to the absorption fringe of the constituent point, is among the strongest tools for picking the actual partial constitution services of person pairs of parts or the environmental services round particular parts in multicomponent platforms.
Ideas of Laser Spectroscopy and Quantum Optics is an important textbook for graduate scholars learning the interplay of optical fields with atoms. It additionally serves as an awesome reference textual content for researchers operating within the fields of laser spectroscopy and quantum optics. The e-book presents a rigorous creation to the prototypical difficulties of radiation fields interacting with - and three-level atomic structures.
The final two decades have witnessed a tremendous improvement of nuclear physics. a number of facts have amassed and plenty of experimental evidence are identified. because the experimental options have accomplished higher and bigger perfection, the theoretical research and interpretation of those facts became correspondingly extra exact and specific.
- Dynamics of Dissipation
- Density functional theory
- Stix, Waves in plasmas
- Quantum field theory in strongly correlated electronic systems
- Mathematics and General Relativity: Proceedings
Extra resources for Charged Particle Traps: Physics and Techniques of Charged Particle Field Confinement
18) into the radial variable r = x2 + y 2 , we obtain 2 2 + R− + 2R+ R− cos(ω1 t + ϕ+ − ϕ− )]1/2 . 19) is bounded by the cylinder |R+ − R− | ≤ r ≤ R+ + R− , |z| < Rz . 18) is a ﬁgure which can be described as an epitrochoid (see also Appendix B). The x − y projection of the motion is periodic if ω+ /ω− is rational; otherwise if ω+ /ω− is irrational, the radial motion is quasiperiodic. Some trajectories with the initial conditions x(0) = x0 = 0, y(0) = 0, and vx (0) = 0 are illustrated in Figs. 3.
54 3 The Penning Trap Fig. 2. 5R+ . Periodic orbits for (a) ω+ /ω √− = 2; (b) ω+ /ω− = 8; (c) ω+ /ω− = 9/2; (d) quasiperiodic orbit for ω+ /ω− = 2 17 Fig. 3. 2R+ . (a) Periodic orbit for ω+ /ωz = 6; (b) quasiperiodic orbit for ω+ /ωz = 35 The energy content of the diﬀerent motions can be derived using the Hamiltonian formalism. We choose the symmetric gauge with the vector potential A = B0 (−y/2, x/2, 0). 1 Theory of the Ideal Penning Trap 55 where p = M v is the momentum vector and the axial component of the canonical angular momentum is Lz = xpy − ypx .
32) ωs = 2QV0 /M Ω(r02 + 2z02 ) , and Φsc (r) is the space charge potential that is itself determined by the density through the Poisson equation. 33) where R is the value of r at which the cloud density is reduced to 1/e of its center value, and can be roughly considered as the cloud radius. The ion oscillation frequency, shifted by space charge, now depends on the distance from the trap center. The numerical results agree with those previously 32 2 The Paul Trap Fig. 15. 2 . Copyright (2003) by the American Physical Society obtained by a statistical model using similar density distributions  and graphically represented in Fig.